Rust Dots Bias T-Shirt Dress

I had been on the hunt for a brown polka dot fabric for nearly a year. Last spring I had ‘spotted’ some Pretty Woman inspired polka dot dresses on the high street so I started to look for fabric. (The dresses were either from a very low quality high street store or just not the right style for me so I knew better than to buy them).

When Mind the Maker released their Dots Stretch Viscose and I saw the Rust colour I knew it was going to be perfect. It’s the right shade of brown for me and I liked the black dots instead of white. I missed out the first time Lamazi fabrics had it but snapped some up when they restocked it. I wasn’t sure what I would make so I bought 3m, my go to amount when I am unsure.

Lamazi Fabrics

When Trend Patterns started to share sneak peaks of her next pattern I knew I would have to make it. Lucy very kindly sent me the pattern to try out and I knew the rust dots would be perfect for it. I wasted no time in getting the pattern traced and cut.

Trend Pattterns

The construction went very smooth, considering there are techniques that I have never seen before. The pocket is attached to one pattern piece instead of the traditional method for inserting inseam pockets. When I first read the instructions I was a little confused but once I saw the pieces it all made sense and I like this method for constructing the pocket now, it gives are really clean finish.

The placement of the zip is the other difference. Due to the shape of the pattern pieces the zip is inserted diagonally across the back. This is something I have never seen before (and I have made a lot of patterns!) but the instructions were very clear and easy to follow and I had no trouble with it.

I also read through the instructions at the start and got a lot of pieces overlocked before starting the construction of the garment, which helped speed up the process. There are a lot of notches on all the pieces so take care when cutting out. These will be a great indicator if any of your pieces have stretched out of shape (due to being cut on the bias) so make sure they all match up.

I love the shape of this dress and all the bias cut sections gives it a really flattering shape. I am definitely going to try making one similar to the sample with contrasting panels to really make this section stand out. I would also like to shorten it (which would be easy to do as all hems are marked on the pattern pieces) in a summery fabric. And I am definitely trying a top version in it (and maybe adding a puff sleeve, obviously!).

This is the style of dress you could make for a lot of occasions. I love mine styled with biker boots or trainers, but I could also see me wearing it with black heels for a night out. It would be lovely in a lightweight crepe or viscose for a wedding or a lightweight cotton for a more casual look.

This pattern is classified as Moderate difficulty which is accurate as some of the techniques are very different and you are working with a lot of fabric cut on the bias so I would recommend having experience sewing with bias cut fabrics and invisible zips before making this.

This dress is now up there with all of my favourites. I love how the bottom skirt panels drape and how it curves around the body. I felt amazing wearing this all day and I cant wait to wear it out some day (soon hopefully).

Thank you for reading and happy sewing,

Sharlene xx