Check Suit

When I made my autumn sewing plans I was so excited to get started on some suits. They are a much more involved make and the blazers are something I want to spend my time on. The blazers currently in my wardrobe get a lot of use and are so versatile so I want to make sure they were well made and will stand up to the constant use they will get.

https://sistermintaka.com/product/zoe-stretch-jacquard-cotton/

First up was a suit made in this amazing stretch cotton jacquard from Sister Mintaka. I have been eyeing this fabric up for soooo long but couldn’t decide what to make with it. It had to be something that made the most of both sides of the reversible fabric. Someone pointed out the Named clothing Aava blazer and Tyyni cigarette trousers and I knew it would be a match made in heaven!

I started off with the trousers as I was in need of a few more bottom options in my wardrobe. I love the design details of the curved seams on this pattern. Going forward I would definitely make a smaller size, I took these in a little at the waist but could still do with sizing down. As the fabric is stretch there is definitely room to go down a size.

I will add belt loops too (I love accessorising with them). My only other problem was the size of the pocket. I knew my phone would not fit into the pockets in the pattern so I added a bit more depth to mine. I originally tried to use the reverse side of the fabric for the front trouser leg but it didn’t look right. There was a lot of unpicking and scraping off interfacing!

Next up was the blazer. I had a weekend of social sewing planned so decided I would work on this. The design features of this pattern are amazing! You really need to check it out. I knew I could use the reserve side to highlight the different panels. I played about with different layouts but in the end went for my gut instinct.

Those shapes are amazing!!

After this stage things got tricky. It took quite a few goes to get the points of the panels to match but with the help and encouragement of a sewing friend (they really are the best) I got there in the end. From here I hoped the blazer would cone together pretty well.

I had a little trouble setting in the sleeve- the bodice obviously isn’t a regular shape with a side seam and I confused myself between this and missing notches and reversible fabrics! Lol! But I got there in the end.

The rest of the jacket came together pretty quickly as I suspected. Having already made the Jasika blazer by Closet Case Patterns and Rumana coat by By Hand London I was pretty familiar with collars, linings and vents.

I can’t get enough of the back detail. I love the contrasting reverse of the fabric and how it really makes these details stand out.

These pieces combined and separate are going to get a lot of use. The black and white palette means they will mix with so much of my existing wardrobe. I will definitely be making both again. I love the idea of using a plain fabric and adding piping to the front panels or possibly a contrast topstitching.

This has been a really fun project to design and I feel like I have really been able to let my creative juices run free. I wish I could say I have a nice easy project planned after this but I don’t! It’s onto a self drafted dress and more suits!!

Watch this space…

Sharlene x