May Makes Roundup Part 1

I am definitely still trying to find my feet in the blogging world. I have found it difficult to post about every make, so I think a nice balance is a monthly round up of what I have been making.

After finishing my Jasika Blazer an easy make was definitely needed, but it took me a while to find one. I had been planning on making a start on my Ginger Jeans (not easy I know!) and cut a lot of other projects out too but the one that excited me the most was the By Hand London Eloise Dress. I think the recent spell of good weather had me in the mood for a few summery makes.

I had seen quite a few bloggers wearing a high street version, (and also followed someone on the way to the bus station after work wearing a similar version) and knew I had to recreate it! (You can see the high street version on my Instagram post https://www.instagram.com/p/BxXWCezAd4Z/?igshid=15js9rp2ru81z
)

The fabric was one of the last I bought before my self imposed fabric ban (we won’t talk about how successful that was) and was purchased from The Fabric Room online. I went for a bigger spot than the original version and I am so happy I did! I love everything about this dress and I am very excited to make some more.

I love the different possibilities for styling this dress too. I have a belt in the same fabric, but can also add different high street versions to change the look. And of course the shoe options are endless!

Next up is the Kalle Shirt from Closet Case Patterns. I am planning a long (midi?) length version of this in a beautiful tencel I got from Sister Mintaka but decided to make the crop version first as a test run in some blue stripe cotton I had in my stash. I had always planned to make a shirt in this fabric so this was the perfect opportunity to try it out.

I love how this turned out. The instructions were amazing and any parts I was a little unsure of the online sewalong stepped in to help. I love the dipped hem and detail of the facing, it such a clever detail that we all know Closet Case Patterns are great for!

As always my assistant has to get in on the action

I also started on the Penny Dress by Sew Over It. I had plans to make the maxi version of this and when I saw the fabric, again from The Fabric Room, I knew it would be perfect. I changed the skirt part of the pattern as the circle skirt would not have been suitable for the stripe fabric. I use the skirt from my maxi dress but gathered the waist this time as the waist was elasticated any way. And obviously I added pockets!

I wish I could say this make was a success, but the shape just wasn’t right for me and I was unhappy with how the placket was constructed. It feels too stiff for the drape of the fabric (I used Rayon which is one of the recommendations and lightweight interfacing) and it just did not sit right.

However, I have plans to turn it into another Justine skirt by Ready to Sew, so all is not lost. I just need to start unpicking!

Keep your eyes peeled for part 2 of my May makes.

Sharlene x